Well you have been talking to this pretty dashing guy for the past three months and now the time has arrived to meet him face-to-face. But are you already losing your sleep? Come on, there's always a first-time for everything!
It is really easy to "enter" those catchy lines and impress your chat friend on the other end, but when it comes to meeting them in person, you might get wet palms. So, to make your first internet dating adventure a success, here are a few basic guidelines:
- Relax - Regardless of how good looking or intelligent you are, it is your attitude, confidence and the way you approach someone that matters most. It is natural to get butterflies on your first online date, but try to hold your breath and relax as much as possible.
- Always be you - It is necessary to be honest and straight up to make that first good impression. Being dishonest and “fake” will fool no one but yourself and get you nowhere in the dating game.
- Be welcoming - Avoid being overconfident and try to create a welcoming atmosphere. While you are talking, give the other person enough room to put forward their point-of-view as well. Hogging the spotlight may make you seem “full of yourself”.
- Compliment your date - We all love to receive a compliment, so why not give them out! This will show your interest in your date and also make them feel good.
- Dress nice and simple - Getting too decked up can create the wrong impression most of the time.
- Don't be late - Always be there on time as being late can send out a clear message of disrespect and that you are insensitive about the other person's effort to meet you.
- Avoid a debate - Talking about political views, religion, etc, may offend and cause confrontation. The first date should be pleasant and an opportunity to get to know your partner better, not fight with them.
- Never seem desperate - Try to be chilled-out and always wear a smile on your face. Showing too much eagerness may give your date the wrong impression and scare them off.
- Don't act disappointed - In case your date does not turn out to be the spunk you were hoping for, never show signs of disappointment as this may prove your arrogance.
- Don't give out personal details - For safety reasons, never give out all your personal details such as home address. Who knows, he might turn out to be a stalker! First dates are pretty interesting and exciting, but the end result might not be the same for everyone. As long as you stick to the basics, you're sure to enjoy your experience and eventually find the right person for you.